Author Topic: How can I create 2 or more lines in one token?  (Read 6745 times)

Teskal

• View Profile
How can I create 2 or more lines in one token?
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
How can I create 2 or more lines in one token?

Like in the Transitiv-Intransitiv.szm on your webpage?

Example:
上げる
あげる

or

揚げる
あげる

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How can I create 2 or more lines in one token?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
You can use Ctrl+Return to insert a linefeed.

Teskal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:11:13 AM »
How can I do it, if I copy a text from Excel?

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
Tricky, tricky!

In all my attempts of exporting/copying cell content with Excel Linefeeds (inserted with Alt+Tab), the linefeed was lost and the lines were wrapped in quotes (like this: "line1line2"). Then Stackz has of course no chance of finding the linefeed when importing this text.

All I found was the following workaround:

1) replace the Excel linefeeds with a special character or sequence that is not apparing anywhere else in this wordlist (say, <LF>). You can do this by searching and automatically replacing all the Excel Linefeeds: enter Alt+0010 on the numeric key-block to specify the Excel-Linefeeds in the search part of the search/replace dialog (you won't see anything but it works), and "<LF>" in the replace part.

2) export the file in the CSV format (file save - as). This will insert ';' between the columns, and the Excel-Linefeed is included as your <LF>. To force the termination of your last column with a CSV character in the generated file (instead of the linefeed that is used in the last column), add another column with some dummy text that you will ignore later on, e.g. "END".

3) Open the exported CSV file in a text editor and replace all <LF> sequences with a real linefeed. Some text editors will allow you using the linefeed character when finding/replacing text, in others you might have to write a macro, or maybe you can do it by hand if there are not too many linefeeds.

4) Now you have a source list that is well suited for importing with the list import wizard of Stackz - simply use the CSV character as token-end-marker in the import wizard second step. Ignore the added last dummy column ("END").

I hope this was clear... and yes, it is quite complicated -  because I did not find a way to copy/export some text from Excel that includes Excel-Linefeeds in a convenient way. If there is such a possibility, please let me know and I'll update this description.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:03:24 PM by Chris »

details