Author Topic: Japanese Places Dictionary File  (Read 7468 times)

Kinzokusei no Inu

• View Profile
Japanese Places Dictionary File
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:23:26 AM »
I'd like to utilize the J_Places dictionary file in Kanjibrowze, but I can't seem to find a way to extract the .gz file into a usable format on Windows XP.   I've tried four different utilities (including Gunzip and Winzip) to try and do this, but still no success.

Anybody know how to get this to work?
今を生きろ!

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Places Dictionary File
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:47 PM »
I clicked on the download link in Firefox, which displayed the file content instead of downloading it... it must have uncompressed it somehow beforehand. From there it must be possible to save it somehow as Japanese EUC file, e.g. copy/paste it to word and save it from there as EUC file (Note that KanjiBrowze expects the dictionary files in the EUC format).

The built in unzip algorithm of SpeedCommander also managed do extract the file.
http://www.speedproject.de/enu/index.html

Kinzokusei no Inu

• View Profile
Re: Japanese Places Dictionary File
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:00:22 PM »
I never was able to extract those .gz files on Windows XP.  I believe I tried seven different utilities including SpeedCommander without success.
However, purchasing an iMac solved this, because the files extract without a problem on OSX.  From there I simply copied the file to the Windows partition so I could use it with Stackz.
今を生きろ!