Author Topic: "Reading" attribute?  (Read 4650 times)

jsbucket

• View Profile
"Reading" attribute?
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:22:07 PM »
Trying out Stackz for use with French language study...

What is the "Reading" attribute used for? 

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
Re: "Reading" attribute?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:03:15 PM »
How about phonetic spelling? That is important as well. Knowing the pronounciation for words is important, and it is not always completely obvious even in western languages.
edit: You might have to learn the international phonetic alphabet first. But it's worth the effort.

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »
Stackz was originally built for Japanese, where at least 3 attributes are used - Kanji (Japanese characters), Reading (the pronunciation of the Kanji, in Hiragana characters), and the translation of the entry, to any language. The 4th field was introduced for optional comments, it is not always used.

The attributes can be freely renamed to contain any kind of information, not just language related things. The number of attributes is always 4, no customization is supported at the moment. Unused fields are simply ignored and left blank when entering the data.

NOTE: The skills (attribute appearance sequences) are in line with the attributes. If you rename the attributes (because you want to store different information) you'll probably want to adjust the skills accordingly (because you want to train different skills).

More is here:
http://www.stackz.com/KooHelp/Stackz/DataOrganization/Skills.htm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:29:12 PM by Chris »

jsbucket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:21:29 AM »
Thanks for the info!  Now all I have to do is figure out which phonetic alphabet to use... <smile>

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:34:44 PM »
hmmm... I suggest you rather delete it right away  :)

Note that you can use the "propagate file options" function to copy all file options from the active document to all other open documents. This is the easiest way to create another file with the same attribute and skill configuration.

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:44:28 PM »
hmmm... I suggest you rather delete it right away  :)
非道い。其も逸興在る物也。
善を責むるは朋友の道也! (孟子離婁下)

Thanks for the info!  Now all I have to do is figure out which phonetic alphabet to use... <smile>
In case you still care about it and don't just want to get rid of it then use the international one. There is an explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet . If you master it you can (with a good dictionary) read words of many languages neatly without even knowing the language. It is really useful, if you do not take lessons that teach you pronunciation it is necessary as even if you go to this country, if you speak too 'strange' they won't listen to you. So don't let bad habits or assumptions degenerate your pronouncation, learn it at the beginning, once you have a very good feel for the language you might be able to skip it, but until then I deem it essential (if you ever intend to converse in this language). Well at least I had quite a bit of success with it in all four languages that I am capable of.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:13:01 PM by houkouhaikai »

details