Author Topic: Language  (Read 8022 times)

Aulcard

• View Profile
Language
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:04:17 PM »
I have installed KanjiBrowze 2006 freeware version but are unable to actually use it. After downloading EDICT and KANJIDIC from Jim Breen's website and trying to configure kanjibrowze, I have been unable to select a language in the language selection dialouge, since there are no entries whatsoever. I have IME installed and about 40+ japanese fonts, so I dont know what the problem is.

So.. whats up?

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Language
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »
This should never happen under normal circumstances - KanjiBrowze must always display the languages 'Japanese', 'Chinese Simplified' and 'Chinese Traditional' in the language selection dialog.

Note that the language settings are shared among Stackz and KanjiBrowze, and Stackz allows to add and use additional languages. Still, the above mentioned languages are fix and can't be deleted with Stackz. So in your case something unusual must have happened with the language settings, please try resetting them by running any (evaluation) version of Stackz and pressing the 'Reset Languages' button in the Stackz languages options. This might reset any weird setting back to the initial one.

Evaluation versions of Stackz can be downloaded here.

Aulcard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »
Thanks that has fixed the problem.

However since KanjiBrowze is advertised as a 'standalone program' it would be best if the KanjiBrowze installer performed the necessary configuration without the need for Stackz to be installed. Unless of course this is supposed to happen and mine was just a freak incident. However my friend also had the problem.

I say that because I have just ordered KanjiBrowze Pro, but I have no intention to order Stackz. I dont need a flashcard system, just a dictionary. And KanjiBrowze beats WWWJDIC hands down for speed and ease of use, and every other dictionary program I have seen is either a piece of crap in comparison, or is just too expensive for something as simple as a dictionary program. With a little work on the interface KanjiBrowze could easily be marketed as something more than just a side note to Stackz, and even at a somewhat higher price. Just something to think about..

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »
Of course it should not behave like that, I am surprised that it happened. I will try to make it more robust - which is difficult because I don't know what is wrong!  :-\

Thanks for reporting!

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 06:25:50 PM »
I found and corrected a small issue that is probably responsible for this error. The new version KanjiBrowze 2006.1 will show the languages correctly after a fresh installation.

Note: Upgrading is not necessary for installations which are running correctly, the only difference of this version is that it will install the languages correctly.

http://www.stackz.com/KanjiBrowze/kbrDownload.htm

details