Author Topic: Kanji query promlem  (Read 4720 times)

Nexus

• View Profile
Kanji query promlem
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
Hello, I downloaded the stacks dictionary version to try, and it seems like an awesome product.  However, when i input kanji directly into the dictionary i dont come up with any entries at all.  I can put in hiragana and romaji just fine and get plenty of entries.  But if i copy the kanji from that same entry i get from the hiragana query and paste it into the dictionary i get no results whatsoever.  I have the current edict and kanjidic installed.  I would like to use this program to look up readings of kanji directly.  I dont always know the hiragana pronunciation to type directly.  I even tried typing hiragana then converting it to the kanji with f5 and then searching, but still to no avail.  I remember my teacher using an earlier version of this program, who was able to look up pasted kanji directly to get the hiragana pronunciation.  Is it available in this version?

Thanks for the help

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kanji query promlem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »
Please try re-generating the index file... this has helped in previous cases.

what index file are you using?

...and at what school did you see our program in use? (just curious  :) )

Nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:39:32 AM »
Alright!

Regenerating the index file worked perfectly.  Thanks for the accurate and prompt reply.  By the way, i first saw my my teacher use your software when i was in Kumamoto, Japan several years ago.  He was actually just an assistant that helped me with various things.  But he was originally from Australia.  Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
Good to hear that it worked. And it's always interesting to see where our product are used...

BTW what version of EDICT/index were you using? Maybe I can find the problem...

timhart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
I had the exact same problem, and generating an index file indeed fixed it.

The reason I ran into this problem is that in previous versions (before 2007) I never had to use an index file. Why is using this file necessary now? I checked my settings in Kanjibrowze and I don't use an index there, but I can search for kanji without problems.

One reason I never tried using index files is because of the warning that using it might slow down queries. Is this still the case?

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
The only reason to use an index file in the first place is to speed up the query. Without index file, every single line of the dictionary is compared... the indexed approach avoids unnecessary ones.

Not using an index file should stille be possible however. Up to your message I was assuming that the problem only occurred with the original index file but I had not been able to reproduce the problem. Now I realize that it's the unindexed query that causes the problems...

I will investigate this soon.

timhart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »
I understand now, and I indeed noticed that having a (self generated) index file speeds up queries a bit.

It does indeed appear that searching for kanji without an index file will fail in Stacks 2007. It works fine in Kanjibrowze. My experience is that when I turn of using the index, search for kanji will fail, while a search for reading (kana) or translation (english) does work without an index. Re-enabling the index fixes it all.

I hope you can find the problem, although using an index file isn't that bad at all! If you need additional info, let me know.

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 12:54:13 PM »
This has been fixed.

Stackz 7.1 will include the improved version. It can be downloaded from here until it is officially released.

details