Author Topic: What do you learn with Stackz?  (Read 15918 times)

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What do you learn with Stackz?
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:11:40 PM »
Stackz was originally designed to learn/repeat Japanese characters and expressions, but the systematic refresh function is useful for any other topic as well.

What other languages, or other topics are you learning with Stackz?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:27:26 AM by Chris »

rteabeault

• View Profile
Re: What do you learn with Stackz?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 04:44:31 AM »
German

RH

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:27:23 AM »
Japanese-French

Dietomaa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
Japanese - German

stackzrockz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »
I've started using stackz for non-Japanese things.  I tried Supermemo for a while, but it is too complex without being smoothly implemented for my tastes.  Although, as a strength, Supermemo can handle images, sounds, etc.  If Stackz could also handle images (sounds are used much less frequently), it might make it more attractive for general learning, too.  But that also gets much more complicated for use on a mobile device.  Supermemo mobile versions don't handle images, so you can't use them on the go.  I see Stackz as the best out there at what it does, which is quiz users on text.  Plus it handles Japanese the best of any flashcard program.

houkouhaikai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 01:39:11 AM »
Well it would certainly be useful considering the many fishes and plants there are.
鯛 鯉 鰹 鮑 鱒 鰆 鱚 鱈 鮃 鮹 鯒 鰰 鰤 and so on...without a picture one might be able to learn the names of those fishes in one's native language...which doesn't mean you would necessarily actually recognize that fish. Same goes for all the trees...However, maybe learning what those 'actual things' are is not anymore within the realm of what stackz is supposed to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 01:40:48 AM by houkouhaikai »

fvp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 11:33:36 AM »
I'm learning Chinese characters (self modified Heisig system). The integration possibilites of CEDICT facilitates putting hanzi in to context.

Chempatty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 09:58:05 AM »
I agree with stackzrockz

That is would be a nice feature to have sound and images in Stackz. But I have to point out that Supermemo does support images and sound, its just a real pain to work with HTML.

Arqui3D.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »
Besides Japanese vocabulary, I've used it for memorizing my friends' phone numbers and Bible quotes (Just the book, chapter number and verse number)
Windows XP Pro SP2
Core 2 Duo E6300
2 GB DDR2
nVidia GeForce 7300 GS with latest drivers

gigapops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:53:57 AM »
English Vocabulary:
I have just finished creating a word list of "Merriam-Webster Vocabulary Builder". The paper back. 1000 words with word roots. About 65 hours of scanning and editing. Like Master Card says; "priceless".
gigapops

gigapops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »

Word of Day Spanish and English:

I enter the word of day plus the accompanying sample sentence etc. spread over all 4 sides of 'Stackz'.
I start with a pre-numbered '1 to 100'.szm file, overwriting 1 number for each daily entry.
To make a pre-numbered file, enter x in a column 100 times in Microsoft word; hi-lite the column and number it with "format">bullets and numbering.
Copy and paste the numbered column to "wordpad"; the numbering will move along with the X'es.
Use 'wordpad' edit replace to remove the periods and X'es. [hi-lite from . to x and copy and paste this into 'find what']
Use 'List wizard' to create the '1 to 100 .szm' file, naming the language, use 1 token only. 
Word of Day Spanish: www.above.com
Word of Day English:  www.http://www.m-w.com/word/subscribe.htm
gigapops

gigapops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Try this for increasing your English vocabulary and using STACKZ. http://www.freerice.com/
For every correct answer they will give 20 grains of rice to hungry people around the world.
As of today I'm at level 50, have collected 297 words for my STACKZ and earned over 20,000 grains of rice. Let's see...Would that be a cupful?
gigapops