Author Topic: Example Sentences in Stackz 2006  (Read 7534 times)

napurenon

• View Profile
Example Sentences in Stackz 2006
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »
Hi,
I noticed that Stackz 2007 will have an example sentence feature that makes use of the Tanaka corpus. I think this is really great news, but there is actually a simple way to use example sentences in Stackz 2006, and I guess earlier versions too.
You can download the full corpus from the Monash Nihongo FTP archive, and then convert it into the EDICT format. Once you have done this, you just have to set it up as a dictionary in Stackz. I've been using it in this way for over a year, and find it very useful.

I've put a screenshot of it here:
http://img111.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=23951_Clipboard01_122_393lo.jpg

And if any of you want a ready made version, I've uploaded one here:
http://files-upload.com/212826/Examples_full_04-12-06.html

Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Example Sentences in Stackz 2006
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »
Thank you very much for this great idea. There are even some advantages doing it this way, e.g. no additional window needed.

The dedicated Example Tool has some advantages as well because it will be optimized for browsing example sentences. There will be a feature that semi-automatically adds example sentences to new entries added from the dictionary, and there it is better to have the two tools side by side.

Anyways, I like the idea that the users can choose which way they want to access the example sentences!

Kinzokusei no Inu

• View Profile
Re: Example Sentences in Stackz 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
What I like about this method is simply only having to hit one button (F6) for the examples to display when the test window is open.

However, as pointed out it is not optimized, so for example, the results don't consider all the possible verb conjugations

The dictionary file method doesn't appear to function with 07Alpha on my machine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:51:01 AM by Kinzokusei no Inu »
今を生きろ!