The Stackz Concept > Stackz - Solved Issues

Example Sentences

(1/1)

Kinzokusei no Inu:

What I would really love to see, is a function that utilizes Jim Breen's example sentence database.  So often, when I'm learning vocab with Stackz I want to be able to put the new word into context.  Right now, I do a quick copy and paste from the test dialogue and into the website, but it would be really handy to have a button which did this itself, either stand-alone or integrated online.

One thing about learning vocabulary, it's great but not all that useful unless you have the grammar skill and context understanding to put the word into practice.

This is my suggestion.

James:
Add my vote for support of example sentences.  An excellent idea!

stackzrockz:
Japanese example sentences?  Great idea!

I've been looking for a Japanese dictionary program that has example sentences, since half the time you can't really know what the meaning is from the English translation since something gets lost in the middle.  I like Jim Breen's online dictionary for this reason, but you have to be online.  AOTS Practical Dictionary is probably the best dictionary around when it comes to example sentences.  The problem is that it isn't electronic and it is all romaji. 

Anyhow, I'd love to see an example sentence database built into Stackz, especially the Japanese dictionary.  The Tanaka Corpus is probably an excellent starting place (although there is the occassional odd sentence in there).  I hear that Eijiro is not bad when it comes to examples, although Eijiro is not freeware.  I wonder if there would be any interest in allowing Eijoro integration into the Stackz dictionary?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version