Thai flashcards organizer for PC and PocketPC
Stackz Learn Dialog optimized for Thai
The challanges of the Thai language
The Thai writing system is not the most difficult on earth, but it must be learned. Once the student is fluent with the writing system, the words need to be memorized. There are typically two phases when learning Thai:
- The initial effort for beginners before reading real texts consists in learning the Thai writing system. Dozens of characters and combinations must be mastered in order to allow reading full sentences fluently and lookup words in the dictionary. This phase is somewhat critical because it is very likely that the absence of any success causes big feelings of frustration.
- In this first phase, one of the biggest problems is the lack in motivation due to missing sense of achievement. Stackz increases the feeling of success with the proficiency representation using colors, giving an intuitive picture of the learning state - it's rather motivating to keep all the cards at a bright color! Details...
- The PocketPC version of Stackz increases the motivation further by allowing short learning sessions at any place! Details...
- For advanced students, the amount of mastered words becomes considerable, and words that are rarely encountered tend to be forgotten. To avoid this, reading more Thai texts is the typical, very time consuming reaction. If this big amount of time is not invested, the Thai proficiency is quickly decreasing.
- If the phase of intensive Thai learning is over (e.g. after a university course or after returning from Thailand to one's home country), the student's focus changes from "proficiency expansion" to "proficiency retention", trying to minimize both proficiency loss and invested time. Stackz allows to control the degrading proficiency over time and spend the time in the optimal way. Details...
- With the PocketPC version of Stackz, unused moments of one's daily life can be turned into wisely spent time to refresh the Thai proficiency. Details...
The Stackz flashcard organizer supports the Thai language in many ways:
- Display Thai text on western Windows
Stackz allows to display Thai text on all western Windows (Win 95 or later). For that purpose, an appropriate TTF font is required. There are many Thai TTF fonts available on the net. Links to Thai TTF fonts...
- Enter Thai text with Microsoft Windows
If the Microsoft Thai keyboard language is installed ony your system, it can be used to enter Thai characters in numerous places in the Stackz software. More details...
- Growing Wordlist archive
Although the number of Thai wordlists is still small for this language, there are Thai lists in the Stackz online archive. Visit the archive to find a list which caters to your needs and start learning with the Stackz flashcard organizer immediately!
We are very interested in new Thai wordlists!
Submissions of new wordlists are honored with a 50% discount on the purchase of a Stackz license. Details are here.
The Stackz System
Click here for explanations.